Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"Faith Isn't a Feelinf, It's a Decision"

February 10, 2010

Hey Dad,

I did get that forward haha, oh goodnes... I have yet to receive any valentines day package though, i'll be looking for it. Yup, I will be finishing up here in the Pasadena 2nd ward. I have done my best to cultivate righteous relationships with the members in each area that I've served in. That is pretty sweet you only served in 3 areas. To be able to serve in Deer Park 7 1/2 months has been an incredible blessing and to able to end my service here with Elder Salisbury adds immensely to that blessing. I love Elder Salisbury like a brother. He and I have a very open and healthy relationship. I feel more unified with him than any other companion I have served with before. When we contact or teach the Spirit is so strong, it's wonderful.

Something on my mind today is faith. Gordon B. Hinckley said "Faith isn't a feeling it's a decision." and I couldn't agree more. Faith is the main ingredient of a miracle, coupled with felt need and prayer. I know that the greatest ways to exercise faith are reading the scriptures, praying, and attending church. We have to learn in this life to walk by faith rather than by sight and if we aren't exercising it then it's deteriorating. I am thankful for the faith that I do have and for the ability I have on my mission to strengthen that faith. These two years are like taking spiritual steroids. It's incredible to look back over the path of my mission and see the growth that has occurred. It's liberating. I have never been more dedicated to something in my entire life. I have never experienced something so humbling either. Elder Salisbury and I are blessed each day to be able to go out and try our faith to find. Lately people seem to be opening up and we seem to be able to connect with them. We met a woman named Lydia and I was able to tell her my mother's name is Lydia and how it's the most beautiful name in the world. We have a return appointment with her! Really we do a lot of tracting. Nobody has really caught on fire yet, but I have faith that it will happen soon. That is SOO cool about the Cornish family! I am sure it was a great experience for all involved to see Jeremy be baptized. As far as any ward training ideas go something that I have enjoyed doing with members is sharing short messages on different gospel related topics (faith, prayer, repentance, God's love... etc) . We share 20 minute lessons with the family and then at the end we ask them who came to mind that could join us next time we come over. During the next visit, assuming they invited a non member, we share relatively the same thing- a short powerful lesson- then we pray and leave. This allows the member and their friend to talk about what we've shared and the spirit guides the way. The hope is that we will be able to eventually teach the non member friend the full on pmg lessons required before baptism. Just a side note is I've found that when we as missionaries share a lesson and then "hang out" with the members that spiritual experience we've just shared is almost nullified. It's important to not offend the Spirit.

That is so great about FHE! I am really looking forward to FHE when I get home. My patriarchal blessing speaks very powerfully about FHE in regard to my own family that I will have and I know that I can learn so much from you and mom about how to do it right. I know that this church is true. I know God loves me. I know much is expected of all of us as hopeful joint heirs with Christ. I know I need a Savior and better than ever understand the Atonement but have so much more to learn. I love you dad.

Elder Jarman

No comments: