Wednesday, June 17, 2009

For Some Reason I Felt Otherwise

Mother,

This past week I was able to experience one of the most spiritual moments of my mission. Words really can't explain these types of things but I will do my best.

Eddie Ray is 35 and married to a member in our ward who is less than active, Sister Ray- naturally, and the father of three great kids, well two great and one that has great potential to be great. He saw his family get baptized in the summer of '07. When I first got here Eddie would rarely, if ever, sit in on our visits to their home. Over time this began to change. I found a medium with him with sports and so we would have conversations about different topics. For his birthday I got him some big league chew and a pack of baseball cards. After that he really opened up. Last week we visited the Ray's and Eddie wasn't home, Sister Ray was having a really hard time coping with events that had occurred. Eddie lost his job and was showing much stress and it was getting to Sister Ray as well. Then we came by and talked to her on her door step about adversity and asked her to read D&C 121-122, and Alma 14. We had a great visit to say the least. Then that next morning she called and said that she not only read those sections and chapters but that she read them with her family and they prayed as a family as well. THEN she said that Eddie had questions and was ready for change. Our appointment was for Fast Sunday at 7 pm. We went to a member’s home around 5 to break our fast but got a text while there from Sister Ray saying it wasn't going to work out. For some reason I felt otherwise. Elder Lybbert and I showed up at their home around 8 pm and they were there, and so we went in and visited with them. That morning I had for my studies adapted the 1st and 3rd lessons into a baseball themed lesson, it was sweet ha. So we shared that with them and specifically taught baptism throughout the lesson. Eddies eyes were filled with tears of joy at the end and we invited him to be baptized, he said yes! The Spirit was so strong. Monday morning Sister Ray called and said her husband was a new man. I have such a strong testimony that this gospel has the power to change anyone in any situation at any point in their life for the better. I am grateful for moments like this.

Not only did that happen this past week but Elder Lybbert and I gave a teaching workshop in zone conference. It went really well! Also we sang Hymn 131 "More Holiness Give Me" for the obedience and sacrifice themed conference. A lot of new policies have come in to the mission and sacrifice and obedience are vital.

I agree with you that life is good. 3 John 1:4 is one of my all time favorites. I love you mom and pray for you always.

Love Elder Jarman

No comments: