Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Called To Serve

Hey Mom,
I have enjoyed to hear about your wonderful time in Hawaii! You two deserved that vacation. It really is quite beautiful, Heavenly Father is an amazing artist :)
So Cait has a belly now does she? I'll believe it when I see it ha. When is the gender to be known? I am probably more excited than anyone just to let you know. The clean up goes well Mom. We have been in a Helping Hands bright yellow t shirts and jeans the last few weeks which has been very odd. I am going through withdrawls I swear from not wearing proselyting clothes ha. To be able to help has been such a blessing though and truly a humbling experience. I kept thinking as I was tearing water logged moldy sheet rock out of a home "What if this was my house?" Oh what a tragedy that would be. Lots of these people were just getting their homes fixed from Rita and now Ike just spoils all that progression. To go back in time a bit these past two Sundays have been two of the best of my life. The first one, on the 14th was held in Woodville. It consisted of Elder Salisbury, Elder Warren, Elder McReavy, Elder Wilson, Elder Digerness, and me. We got special permission to hold the meeting from the Branch President in Woodville. With no power in the building we partook of the sacrament in the brightest room we could find. That renewal of my baptismal covenants was such an experience. I never really had understood how important and lovely that is until now. We each picked a scripture and a hymn and then bore our testimonies. Not a dry eye could be seen. The spirit was so strong as these six 19 and 20 year old boys shared their feelings about this gospel. I shared 2 Nephi 33:10-12 and hymn 136 I know that My Redeemer Lives. The next Sunday, the 21st, was very unique in the fact that only about 6 or 8 people were in Sunday attire. The congregation was yellow shirts and jeans. We had a work party that day and to look across the chapel at all the men and women from the area that were willing to help aid these poeple was a beautiful sight. How great is my calling. That's not all that made last Sunday one to remember. The West's came to church, but in Jasper. Ha. We were in Beaumont and they were in Jasper but to know that our church is the same everywhere was such a comfort. Kim West the member and mother was accompanied by three of her non member children and they enjoyed it too. We have kept close with them via phone over the course of Ike and have an appointment coming up this week at their home in Brookeland. Elder Digerness has made so much progress Mom. It was a particular blessing indeed when he told me that no other missionary could have helped him like I did. I am so blessed to have a companion who pushes me in more aspects than one. Diggy is a great missionary who I am very fortunate to help out and also be helped out by him. Mom I am so happy right now. More than ever I realize the importance of a mission. It has been and will be, until I am married and have kids, the best thing I have ever done. Missions are like a filter of goodness, a mid life fine tuning if you will. It may be a two year experience but it's a lesson that lasts a lifetime. I am very blessed to have a family that supports and loves me the way ya'll do. I am especially blessed to be your son. Mom I love you.
Elder Jarman

No comments: